Monday, June 4, 2012

Goodbye to the Philabang’r


One of the most random things about Oldbike from the very start was the writing on the left hand side (only) of the tank.  I should have asked the previous owner what the heck it met but honestly I didn’t put much thought into it until so many people asked me what the deal was with “Philabang’r?”  I had no idea and over the last (almost) two years it kind of became something of a likable quirk about the bike.  When I was thinking about what to do next with the bike (for the most part I have just been riding it as of late) now that it is reliable, I put some cosmetic things on the docket this time.  There were some suggestions to get keep the “Philabang’r” maybe in a new font or so far as to preserve the original and clear coat over it in it’s original form.  I liked that idea in a kitschy way but in the end thinking about down the road when this project meets it end and it’s time to sell Oldbike it that it might be a turn off.  So it had to go!


I used a wire wheel and some 4-1/2” Perfromax rust and paint removers on my drill to take the paint off the tank.  You can see (above) the Suzuki emblems mounting points that were “Bondo-ed” over.  To whomever did the bodywork on the tank the fill work on the mounting points did a good job.  I was surprised to find them under there!



It wasn’t a one night job getting the paint off the tank I would do as much as I could stomach each night and then applied 3 in 1 oil onto the bare metal so that it wouldn’t rust.



I also must mention, MAKE SURE THAT YOU TAKE ALL THE GAS OUT OF THE TANK AND THAT IT IS PORPERLY AIRED OUT SO THAT THERE ARE NO GAS FUMES.  The wire wheel on the bare metal can make sparks and that around gas or gas fumes can cause explosions.    Some people may say that I should have used chemical paint removers but I have never had good luck with those and the mess that they create.




Once I got the paint off the tank it dawned on me that maybe I don’t need to paint it at all why not just go clear coat on bare metal?  There are some dings in the tank (it is 30+ years old) and the methods I used to get the paint off were going to make polishing the tank to a mirror finish not a possibility (at least in my skill set).   So I decided that I would so some polishing but not to a mirror finish.


Below you can see my first coat being applied on the tank it looked great but I put it on too thick and there were a few runs.



It was to a point where I could almost see myself in the tank.


Unfortunately when I was wet sanding the runs in the clear coat I burned through and had to take it all off and start over.  And while I smoothed it even more with the wet sandpaper the second time the finish ended up being more satin.


I actually like it better I have 5 coats of clear on it now and I think it is a huge improvement over the “Philabang’r.”





Of course, as one thing gets done another issue arises.  I noticed a small leak where the shift shaft comes out of the case that will need to be addressed soon.  It is a VERY slow leak and depending on the amount of work to do I may end up monitoring the oil level and making repairs when the riding season is over.  Stay tuned for the next installment coming soon and as always, thanks for reading!

11 comments:

  1. You have really done quite a great job with the oldbike. It doesn't look so old anymore. Your blog is great. Glad you find an outlet or your creative side.


    jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job with this bike. I have a question for you. I recently acquired the same bike. When I press the start button, nothing happens. I put a fresh battery in and cleaned the carbs. The bike starts after a few kicks.

    Any suggestions on how to fix the electric start?\

    Thanks,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,

      The first step would be to make sure that the starter will work. You can do that bu jumopering the solenoid (see the following videos)

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIbfwLlk-tk

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LysuII33OTE

      I wrote a blog post about this issue with mine in the earlier parts of the blog too you if you look around.

      Once you know that the starter is woeking then you can move on to checking the wiring and connections. I found the issue was with the clutch safety switch. It was worn out so when I pulled in the clutch it wouldn't complete the circuit and allow the starter to work.

      I ended up soldering a little jimper wire in teh switch to pypass the switch. Basically now the starter button will work even if the clutch is engaged.

      Delete
  3. What did you do with your old grab bar? I take a keen interest in this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it still. You're referring to the on that attaches at the shocks, and at the back of the seat and wraps around the back of the seat?

      Delete
  4. Yes. I have this same bike, sans the grab rail, and I cannot find a replacement for the life of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So are you looking to buy mine? Throw me an offer, it's just siting around.

      Delete
    2. How about 40 + shipping? If this is acceptable or for further negotiations, hit me up at david.rueben.hensley@gmail.com

      Delete
  5. I have a quick question if you can help. I am the writer for 1979suzukigs425e.blogspot.com and i am at the point where I need to put these hoses back on the carbs but am having gas come out of one more than it should. On the carb there are 2 hoses from the petcock than 4 other hoses on the actual carbs. on yours, the bottom two hoses on the float bowls, where do the left amd right one lead on your carbs? Like does the go into another part of the carbs and the right goes as a vaccum overflow? I would appreciate any help you can give me this is my last step to getting this beast running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to understand your question with what you have written here. Both carbs are exactly the same internally so all the different hoses should go to the same places internally. Are you asking about the connections from the carbs to the fuel tank (petcock)?

      Delete
    2. I guess it wasn't clear enough... I actually found out what happened but thanks for replying.

      Delete